Friday, February 23, 2018

How to remove the pads from Brembo brakes

Hello everyone,

After upgrading the brakes on my Legacy to a used set of Brembos from a 2004 STi, I hear this noise which I can only describe as a metal clap or creak coming from the front left. The noise only happens once as i'm leaving the driveway and engage the brakes. Also it's not a re-occurring noise. Prior to doing research online, I wanted to get a closer look at the caliper and the pads to see if anything was loose or interfering with the brake pad. After removing the pads and ultimately finding nothing, I did the research and it's possible that since the rotors are used, the piston inside the caliper has to travel further to make contact with the pads and then the rotors. Basically, it's possible that when I replace the pads and rotors, the creak will go away.

I got a closer look at the caliper so here it is:

*Remember*
-Put blocks behind the rear tires and pull up the E-brake before jacking up a car
-In the picture, the weight of the vehicle is on the jack-stand and not the floor jack
-Wear gloves and safety glasses

Once you have jacks in place and the wheel off, I used a 16mm wrench socket to remove the bolts holding the caliper in place.




Using a pair of pliers I removed the cotter pins. Since the pins running perpendicular are gunked up with brake dust i used a steel punch and hammer to tap them out. Keep in mind you don't want to use too big of a punch or you could damage the caliper. Be aware that the metal wish bone is under stress so lightly depress the tab as you are removing the perpendicular pins.



Let's take a look at the pads





The pads themselves were in good condition. You can see the circles made by the piston in the first picture, all the grease was pushed away from where the piston makes contact. I removed the old grease, sanded the rust away and regreased them. Use ample lubrication. I even sanded the wishbone and applied grease where the pins would slide through.


Now retrace your steps and reassemble.


No comments:

Post a Comment